Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Underground

"The Underground" in London really is underground--waaaay underground. There are all these immensely long escalators that it feels like you're riding for an hour until you fffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy reach the bottom. This picture doesn't really show just how immensely long they are, because I didn't quite realize it until we were halfway down, and by the time I fumbled my camera out of my purse, turned it on, aimed, framed, focused, and pushed the button, we were almost at the bottom. Seriously, when I was standing at the top of this escalator and staring down into the bowels of the earth, it felt like I was taking an escalator ride to Hades. It really seemed to be that long, and to go that far down.

Oh, and another thing. Apparently they've never heard of elevators in London. Sorry, apparently they've never heard of "lifts" in London. Because the Tube has none! There are all those escalators and even more staircases, but I never saw a single elevator--sorry, lift--in a Tube station. And there were all these people trying to drag huge, heavy suitcases up and down staircases (including me!), but no elevators. Lifts. The S-Train stations in Copenhagen all had elevators, easily accessible and always available. Thereby proving yet again that Danes are so much smarter and more efficient than the rest of the world :)

1 comment:

Hope Chella said...

This is a great picture. I've always had problems with escalators but having survived this one a few times every other one seems not so bad! :)