Friday, March 20, 2009

Main Street, USA


My hometown is pretty much your typical Small Town, USA. Especially a midwestern Small Town. Now, to be honest, I was born and raised in the midwest and while I've visited other parts of the country, I've never been to the East Coast, the Southwest, or the South. Most of my trips have been to big cities, so even the parts of the country I have seen have only been cities, not small towns. So I really can't speak for small towns in other areas of the U.S. But I've been to way more small midwestern towns than I would have liked, so I'm definitely familiar with the layout. My town is pretty typical in some ways, and extremely atypical in a few others. However, when it comes to the downtown area, it's pretty standard. Now, if you've been paying attention, you will recall that my parents moved several months ago, to Georgia. I'd lived in the same bedroom in the same house in the same town in the same state since birth, except for college, until I moved away, to my current small town, last year. So while that event was in itself somewhat of a difficult time, having my parents, who I NEVER EVER EVER thought would leave, move to a completely different part of the country, somewhere I've never even been, was a bit of a shock to me.

Well, the last time I went home while it was still my home, in August, I walked around downtown and took pictures. I knew it wouldn't be the last time I was in that town (as a matter of fact I was just there in December), but it would be the last time I was in that town and it was still my home. That matters. So I took some photos to commemorate the occasion. I was just perusing them and it made me think about how typical the Main Street downtown area is, which led me to all of my above ruminations. And the above photo.

No comments: