Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cat Amid Clutter

Okay, I admit it: I'm not the neatest person in the world. I'm actually rather a slob. At least at home--everywhere else I tend to be rather neat and organized. I think I'm kind of pathologically messy at home because I'm living on my own for the first time ever, in my own apartment with no roommates and now I'm completely free for the first time to live how I want. While growing up my room was always by far the messiest in the house (except maybe for my brother's), since my mother is a total clean freak. Our entire house was always completely spotless, you-could-eat-off-the-floors clean. And my mother ruled in a heavy-fisted manner. It was her way or nothing. There was no other option. So I think that in some subconscious way being messy was my way of rebelling against her iron rule. The thing is, now that I have the freedom to live however I like, with no judgment from anyone, I should be getting over it. But somehow I'm not. When I had a roommate I felt like I had to do my part and keep the apartment neat and clean--or at least somewhat neat and clean. But now? I'm just too lazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were obviously well indoctrinated. My mother was the same and I have always been tidy.