Thursday, February 26, 2009

Feline Feature

As it's raining and miserable outside and I'm therefore bored (I canceled my cable service as my roommate J is moving out this weekend and I will no longer be able to afford such luxuries), I've been killing time by going through old pictures on my little Canon point-and-shoot digital camera. I freely admit it, there is an overwhelming majority of cat pictures. Apparently my cats are all I ever take pictures of (I can't help it, they're just so cute!). Anyways, as there are so many that more than a few aren't half bad, I've decided to institute a new feature of this blog: The Feline Feature! Every week I will choose one of the better shots of one of the cats to feature. Since today is Thursday, I am arbitrarily choosing Thursdays to implement this new wonderful profile. Now, you attentive readers might remember that only two of the three cats currently residing in my apartment are mine, so that would imply that one will soon be leaving with J. Well, for the next nine months I have temporary ownership of the third, and craziest, cat. My roommate is taking a (miraculously) paid internship at some sort of bird research foundation, studying and tracking wild cranes. They are providing housing at the research place and no pets are allowed (probably afraid they will eat the cranes), so Malaika is staying with me, Mouse, and George for the foreseeable future. Lucky me. I swear, that cat is systematically destroying this apartment.


And now, for the first time ever on this blog, the Feline Feature Photo!

(I realize that for continuity's sake I should probably spell "Photo" with an "F" but I hate it when people do that, it really irritates me and I refuse to ever be that cutesy)

The subject here is my Georgie. This picture is one of my particular favorites, hence the choice of putting it up first. I like to think of this as a portrait, because it really shows George's personality (and don't even try to argue that cats can't have personalities, because I will never believe you). I used the black-and-white option, which is one of the things I like so much about the little mainstream point-and-shoot digital cameras, they make features like that easy! But one of the reasons I like this shot so much is that even though it's in black and white, you can still almooooost see the color of George's eyes and face.

2 comments:

Merisi said...

Naughty Malaika!
I hope she calms down before she has finished destroying your home. ;-)

I like the "ph" too, and your friend's internship with cranes too! Peter Matthiessen's "Birds of Heaven - Travels with Cranes" is one of my favorite books.

Kelsey said...

She has calmed down a bit, luckily! Thanks for the info about the book, I'll definitely pass it on to J.