Saturday, October 22, 2011

Silver Linings and Clouds

It's been a whirlwind of a week but I've finally managed to pull all my shit together and get back on track, school-wise at least. And Thursday I came home to find a surprise waiting in the mail--my sister sent me an iPad! She bought a new iPad 2, so she sent me her older iPad. Not that I'm complaining or anything--I love it and there is no way I would EVER have been able to buy something like that on my own. So I've spent the last few days playing with my new toy, getting it all set up and downloading ebooks onto it.

It's actually really nice because it means that this summer when I go to Afghanistan, I won't have to drag a bunch of books with me--I can just bring my iPad!

However, there was one negative aspect to the gift--it meant that I had to call my sister to thank her. As usual, it didn't take long for our conversation to deteriorate into an argument. So that's the way it ended. And that is why I only talk to her on birthdays and Christmas.

We see the world through very different lenses, and with her being so much older than me (almost five years--not a lot now but a biiiiig difference when we were growing up), she feels the need to constantly instruct me in how I should be living my life and is not afraid to point it out when she feels I am making a mistake. Which is often. Because living a life different from hers is apparently a mistake. Also she keeps trying to get me to work with her, which I have no intention of ever doing.

Sigh.

Every silver lining comes with a cloud.

No comments: