Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dreams Deferred, Cont'd

Okay, I just re-read my last post and realized that it sounds really pathetic and pitiful. I'm not that pathetic, I promise! What I meant was that somehow time seems to be running out. Every day that goes by when I'm just treading water instead of going after my dreams is another dream deferred. I've also come to the conclusion that most of my dreams are pretty much unattainable. That's a really depressing realization to have, because what does it leave me with? Should I take a risk and try for one, or play it safe and keep on doing what I'm doing? Is the ache that I live with every day that I don't pursue my dreams something that I will eventually grow used to, or something that will just fade away with time? Is it worth the risk of attempting and most likely failing at something I've always dreamt about? I'm not just talking the emotional risk, although that's a heavy factor. I'm also talking about the financial aspect too. I really want to pursue photojournalism, especially with regards to war and conflict, because that is something that I feel so strongly about, but the logic in me warns that it's a very tough field, very competitive and difficult to make a living in. That's not even considering the discomfort, pain, danger, sickness, fear, everything that comes with working in war zones. I don't even like camping! Can I handle it? And then there's the fact that I don't think I'm a very good photographer. I don't know if I could even hack it. Is it worth going through all the hassle of applying to a program, getting in (hopefully), moving there, paying tuition, doing the coursework, and then possibly failing at it?

No comments: