Thursday, November 6, 2008

Vindicated

I'm am so absolutely thrilled about Obama's win over McCain that I don't even know how to express it! This has completely restored my faith in this country, which had corroded over the last several years. To paraphrase the man himself, this election has vindicated my belief in this country also. Obama said that after his triumphal result in the Iowa caucus, which I participated in, and have to love my home state for being the sole state responsible for kicking off Obama's campaign and showing the world just what America is capable of. Before Iowa, he was just another of the multitudes of possible candidates; after Iowa, he was a frontrunner from then until Election Day. Now I'm from Iowa, and let me tell you, the people there are incredibly nice but not necessarily very progressive. When I showed up at the caucus site, I was really surprised at how many people were there to caucus for Obama. His group was BY FAR the biggest in the room, and there were people in his cause from every age range, from high schoolers participating in their first election process to people who've probably voted in dozens. Thanks to my wonderful state, Obama got the chance he deserved to win the most important election in decades.

I firmly believe that this choice made by America two days ago will usher in a new age for America, one that rejects the old policy of fear and imperialism, and instead allows for progress and the promise of a better future, rather than the glimmer of a fear-based 1984-like regression we've been heading toward. I've said more than once the past couple years how America under the Bush administration feels like a regression into the 1950s, so hopefully America under the Obama administration will be like a progression into the 1960s, and everything that decade stood for.

No comments: