Monday, January 14, 2013

Back from outer space

Clearly I have been sadly neglecting this blog. But in my defense, well, there's been a lot going on. Which really means that I'll start neglecting it yet again as soon as this post is published...

As I sit here listening to surprisingly flamenco-like and brilliant Malian music yet utterly unmotivated to get any actual work done, I figure that I might as well blog some updates of my life as it stands right now.

Let's see, my last entry was about my then-upcoming trip to Washington, DC (first trip there ever!) so I believe I will start with that.

The extremely brief weekend trip was for the wedding of a good friend since middle school who has been living out there since we graduated from college five years ago now (yee gods!) and who I rarely get to see now that my parents moved to Georgia; far, far away from our hometown in Iowa so that means no Christmas visits with old friends.

My older sister also lives in DC, so I flew out on Thursday, she arranged to take Friday off work to take my sightseeing, the wedding was on Saturday, and I flew home early Sunday morning.

Unfortunately, my sister and I aren't very close and tend to take opposite stances on many things, such as Afghanistan, the government, and my desire to go into humanitarian work (especially in Afghanistan), which inevitably led to some awkward conversation-debate-arguments punctuated by many awkward silences.

Fortunately as a much-needed counterbalance to that uncomfortable day was the time spent with my old hometown friends, including one friend's two adorable kids. It was fantastic to hang out with them again; when we're apart for so long sometimes I start to forget how awesome they are and how much I love them.

In addition to the daytime sightseeing with my sister, the wonderful bride-to-be arranged a bus tour of all the monuments that night, which was a ton of fun. It was a small wedding with mostly family and a few good friends like us, so we all had a blast together.

Here are a few of my favorite photos out of the hundreds I probably took while wandering around our nation's capital that weekend.

Enjoy!





















No comments: