Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Favorite Experience in Kabul


For the last day of Eid, since I was alone at the school while everyone else went home for the holiday, my favorite student who fortunately for me lives in Kabul invited me to her home. It had been a little boring being at the school all by myself for a week, but shortly before everyone left I had caught a really bad cold so it worked out pretty well because I spent most of that week in bed recovering, and then was fine by the time Eid rolled around and I got to go to Maryam's home.


My student Maryam is twelve and her mother, Amina, is only about a year older than me (28 or 29) and incredibly kind. Amina and I clicked immediately and I had a really good time at their house. Even though Maryam is the only one in the family who really speaks English I had no trouble communicating with Amina even when Maryam wasn't in the room to translate. Thanks to my little bit of Dari and her little bit of English, we made it work.

 Maryam is the oldest child with four younger siblings (two boys and two girls, who are the youngest), who are all really sweet. Particularly the youngest girl. I felt bad though, when we were laying on the mats against pillows watching TV, she kept sitting down next to me and cuddling up to me and sharing my pillow, and would occasionally say something to me. Only my Dari is so terrible that I couldn't understand her, so I had to keep saying "Nehmi fahmam," which means "I don't understand," and smile. I smiled a lot this summer. I had only intended to spend the day there, but when it was time to go home Maryam begged me to stay so I spent the night as well and went home the next morning. When I left, Amina, Maryam's mother, thanked me for coming and told me to please think of their home as my home while I was in Afghanistan.


Other than just because I absolutely love Maryam's family, this was my favorite experience from the summer because it was the only time I was able to spend time with a regular Afghan family and see how they live, what daily life is like. I treasure that experience because I'm well aware that it is one most foreigners would never get in Afghanistan, even in Kabul.

Also, I got to wear my brand new beautiful punjabi that was a gift from my best friend from the school. Traditionally Afghans get new clothes for Eid, and rather coincidentally I ended up only taking this to a tailor a couple weeks before the holiday so it turned out to be my Eid clothes, just like Afghans get.

BTW, that was the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. Way more comfortable than any pajamas I've ever owned, which until now had been the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. If I do end up going back I'm investing in a ton of these.

Seriously, how could you not love this kid?

No comments: