Thursday, March 10, 2011

Backpacks and Travel

So this is the backpack I bought. It's the Eagle Creek Truist Vita 55L Travel Pack, normally $200 but I got it for more than half off at $95,which comes to about $104 with taxes. Not bad, eh? Good hiking backpacks are expensive, and this one seems pretty good quality for the price. It arrived today, and I immediately became ridiculously happy when I saw that giant box sitting in my apartment complex's office. I just knew it had to be my backpack, because nothing else would need a box that big.

Eagle Creek Truist Vita 55 Travel Pack - Women\'s - 2010 Closeout
I wasn't sure about the color originally; this model also comes in black and I first thought I would order it in black instead of the maroon color. Black doesn't stick out as much, doesn't show dirt or wear and tear, and seems more neutral. But then I thought, well, I kinda want to be girly with this. Black is so...blah...and seems more like what a guy would have. I'm a girl, dammit, and sometimes I want to show it! Besides, this isn't obnoxiously girly, like those annoying females who buy everything in pastel pink (a color which I abhor), it's just slightly feminine in a matter-of-fact, functional way. Like me.

I know it's a bit of a pipe dream at this point in my life, but I want to travel. I want to visit all the obscure, hidden, out-of-the-way corners and roads less traveled. Buying this backpack makes that dream seem a little more real, like a real possibility. I definitely intend for it to happen in a few years, once I finish school, but of course it's completely out of the question until then. Having this backpack stashed in my closet where I can see it every day reminds me that someday, it will happen. I just need to be patient, which is definitely not a skill I possess. Knowing that this backpack is sitting there just waiting for me to fill it up and hit the road might make it worse, but I'm gambling on being able to use it for a small trip, even to my parents' house or somewhere, which should help.

Yay for making future plans seem a little bit closer!

No comments: