Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hope Cemetery


The irony in that phrase appeals to me--especially right now as I'm in a somewhat morbid frame of mind.

Hope + Cemetery.

The two seem like an oxymoron, so linking them together, especially in this particular case, seems a bit naive. I guess this is living proof (haha, sorry, pardon the pun) that hope really does spring eternal. Those settlers back in 1836 must have had buckets of hope and probably not a whole lot more.

I guess if your choice is between nothing and hope, most people would choose hope. If only for their own sanity. And while hope can make you crazy, losing hope definitely will make you crazy.

I would think that most people probably hope that they don't end up in Hope Cemetery anytime soon, though.

2 comments:

Engeltina Knickerbocker said...

What if Hope was the name of the town, or the company that milled the marble, or the landowner that furnished the burial plots?

Kelsey said...

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that. It could be, but I've never seen any other signs with "hope" on them.

Besides, I really meant it more metaphorically than literally.